Saturday, September 19, 2009

Old Friends, New Friends

Found Mister Donuts <3 finally and ran around Sannomiya to pick up taco makings for sunday while trying to arrange meeting up with Miwako in Kyoto. Somehow managed it and we made it to Kyoto station right on time.
Met up with Miwako and her sister Hideko after some minor being turned around and then went to Porta to some random Italian place. It felt really strange and nostalgic to be back. We also hit up the Karaoke studio on 8jo that I used to go to as a student. It was really surreal. Di and I made it back to her station before the last train, but well after the last bus, so we got a chuckle at the Taxi driver who drove us back to her place. The guy had told us he wouldn’t have known what to do if we hadn’t been able to speak Japanese.
Rant: Dear Japanese people. If I am wearing Japanese style clothing, carrying a more recent cell phone, and am generally navigating like I know what I’m doing... AT LEAST give me the courtesy of figuring that I know at least basic Japanese greetings like “sumimasen” and “arigatou”. The amount of times I have to just laugh when shopkeeps say “thank you” or random people on the street say “sorry” or “excuse me” even when I’m speaking in Japanese gets really somewhat frustrating.

No comments: