Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Human Hurricane

The manager from the London office is here this week, and she's, in so many words, a human hurricane. The woman is juggling so many things, she reminds me of how I was at Pioneer, trying to do 18 things simultaneously. Which admittedly drove me and many of my coworkers nuts this morning. Luckily, I didn't get blamed when I got caught in the cross-hairs. Despite a pretty nasty start to the day, things looked up when I was asked to communicate with one of the higher ups of a really well known anime company to buy one of our products. It felt really, really good to be able to communicate natively in a businesslike manner, and not have to apologize every other word...though admittedly I had to catch myself to keep from bowing into the phone. Actually, I had to keep myself from cracking up when the Producer who sits next to me suddenly stands up and starts bowing as he talked into the phone the other day. ...Yeah. I love Japan.

Had a nice chat with a random stranger while stopping to pet the local cat on my way to the bento place. It felt good to just connect with random people.

Apparently I need to get lights for my room in Ogikubo since the bedroom comes with squat. Anyone recommend any sites or places to get lamps and such? I've used nissen.co.jp to get a bed or some semblance thereof, but their lighting selection is crappy and rather... unenlightening *Steph, Tesa, I see you facepalming!*

The Swineflu or Shingata Influenza as the Japanese call it is causing some major fears here... or so says the 41 page guidebook document I got in my email at work from the, for lack of better description, HR guy. A couple of people have caught colds, and I have kind of a weaksauce, I could become a cold but feel too lazy to make the effort so I'm just going to make you cough once an hour type thing. (Thanks her lucky stars for multivitamins).

No comments: