Thursday, August 20, 2009

House Hunting

Wow. It's been almost a full work week... and so far I've survived. The later workdays (and subsequent late night trip home) is taking a little getting used to, but we'll see how things go when I don't live like 15 minutes from my work place.

My boss (YG) didn't get in until nearly 1:00 today, but luckily I had about 20 pages of script and 15 pages of contract (in legalese...yes it's a foreign language) to edit. Unfortunately he was running around like a chicken with his head cut off, so I got to play the "let's find something to keep me occupied since he's not assigning me anything" game. Apparently it may be more popular in Japan than I reckoned.

Luckily, since I went in at like 8:50, I didn't feel guilty about leaving much earlier than is my wont (5:45ish). Met up with my roomshare buddy, Yoshie, out at Kichijoji. She had the day off and was looking into alternative apartments all day. Apparently her work is dead set against her living in Tsunashima because it's "too far"....... yeah. ANYWHO, we found two really good alternatives and I can't seem to decided. I really like the one out in Mitaka-dai for 116,000en (~1,160 USD) that would allow me to bike to Kichijoji through Inokashira Park... but the rooms are only separated by closets and Yo and I are entirely different schedules. I suspect fuller closets will help buffer the sound. The alternative is in Ogikubo, at 124,000 (~1,240 USD) it's a little bit nicer and closer to the station. But it would be further to the super market and wouldn't go through Inokashira park (I know I know. I LIKE parks!). So I get to think really hard and try to make a decision tonight. On the plus side, if one doesn't work, we can shoot for the other. Unfortunately, we keep running into the "gaijin wall" as I call it, where some landlords aren't willing to lease to foreigners.

1 comment:

Jeannie said...

awwww. The gaijin wall. Never heard of that term before but I can somehow relate because I'm am also half-gaijin, and always will be.
Wish you best of luck in finding a good apartment!