So I was a good lil' gaijin (foreigner or literally outsider for those who don't speak Japanese) and went to register for my "Alien Registration Card" at the local ward office. The trip itself was uneventful, but the woman working at the office had probably worked with stupid gaijin much too much... as she talked slow and methodically, as if I were in kindergarden. Still, it gave me plenty of time to fill out the stack o' paperwork. And we got through a good half a conversation before she dropped the "Nihongo ga jouzu" bomb on me. Much better than having it drop within three seconds of conversing.
Nihongo ga jouzu is literally, "Your Japanese is so good." But the compliment can be somewhat tongue in cheek, as many strangers I've met roll it out within the first three words of speech. Reactions vary, and can ensue in a multitude of amusing stories.
So met up with a friend and explored around before heading back to my place. It was hot and muggy enough that it was getting hard to breathe, so the free AC at my place came in handy.
Had an adventure trying to open a bank account today... as I'd forgotten than all Japanese banks close by goddamn 3:00. So I get to do that, cell phone, and check in work tomorrow. Joy.
Met up with two more friends at Hachiko in Shibuya and grabbed dinner.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment