Finally opened the damn bank account. It took an hour RT to get to Nihonbashi from Ebisu, and another hour to open the account, but I finally got it done. It took a lot of time out of my workday (and I paid for it dearly when I got back), but huzzah! Now I can get paid!
So work went from like NOTHING on Monday, to filming on Tuesday, to a pile of crap on my desk today. Believe it or not, I'm reveling in it. I wish I had time to finish editing the contract I started this morning, but the producer plops a 61 page script on my desk at 1:30 and asks me to give it the once over so it can be done by 4:30 or 5. Whatever they paid the translator, it was too much. I was honest with my opinion that much of it was poorly translated and would take time to edit to be suitable for the English speaking market. I managed to get it done rushing things a bit, and then was given more time to go back through it with a fine tooth comb. If my coworkers haven't noticed my quirk of tunneled vision when I really concentrate on something, I think they may start to from here on out. Unfortunately I can only think in one language at a time, so it is just as well that I'm concentrating too hard to attempt to talk to anyone.
Oh and apparently as the only native English speaker, I've been asked to fix the English on the site.
Needless to say I'm happy as a clam. I may not be if this keeps up for months at a time, but 6 months of unemployment left me frothing at the mouth for work.
Oh! So I got invited by one of my coworkers, Maki, to go drinking with the girls of the office. The Japanese call it nomikai. Needless to say I went, and had a great time despite the fact I couldn't concentrate and was only catching about 50% of the conversation. Also, there is something disconcerting about sitting next to your boss' wife and only being told that at the end of everything. Overall, it was very fun and I got to know some of my coworkers a bit more. I did try Oolong-hai (oolong tea with vodka) after food and a couple of cokes, but alcohol and me just don't work well, so a coworker of mine finished it off for me. No one forced me to drink, so it was a much better experience than I was expecting.
I can't believe the week is half over!
Wednesday, August 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment