Got a call from Nabe in the morning nailing down details... which was probably a good thing considering that he had assumed we were having T-day at my place and I had thought we were having it at his. SO after a mad scramble and some negotiation with my roommate, whom I had some akwardness the night before over laundry, we somehow opened up the possibility to have it at either place. In the end, I went and picked up Dai at the station since she was coming in from Kobe, and in the end we decided to have it at Nabe's place.
So we finally got everything together after running around Seiyu and started cooking around 4... keep in mind we had to be at Nabes by 7. So Dai looks at the Stuffing, Corn Bread, and Pumpkin Bread she wants to make, each avg 45 minute cook time, and becomes a whirlwind. Meanwhile I'm sitting on the floor peeling potatoes because that Japanese do not seem to believe in usable counterspace... I mean seriously here.
Which is where we ran into brick wall 1... I had no can opener to open the pumpkin...... so we flee to the local convenience store only to find that the Japanese don't believe in canopeners either.... right. So we hop a bus back to Seiyu to have me realize half way there that we hadn't killed the gas to the stove. (Cue me silently panicking). So the hour long trip that Seiyu usually takes took a round trip of about 20 minutes.... this includes such gems as two white girls pelting through the multi-story Japanese Walmart equivalent (with supermarket) at full tilt. How we beelined for the can opener... I would be happier not thinking too much about...though I suspect some diety or another out there now owns about a year of my life.
My coworker, Nami, showed up about halfway through and met us at my place. We then walked the three of us, the half hour to Nabe's where his two coworkers, Ushi and Mura, showed up shortly afterwards.
So, in tradition with the holiday, we had good food, good friends, and about three days of sheer chaos crammed into a 9 hour period... feels like the holidays to me.
Sunday, November 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment