Sunday, November 29, 2009

Speak Easy

Was planning on holing up and moping since I was still homesick. Things started looking about that way until my friend Leon gave me a call and pulled me out of my hole to go to "an event" out in Ootsuki.

Turns out it was an event where foreigners can meet each other and Japanese at a bar called "Speak Easy". The group, Talk in Tokyo, has been around for a few years now, and Leon was friends with the French lady, Belle, who organized this particular one. By the end of the night, we were playing batsugame Jenga with tequila shots for whomever made the tower fall. Thankfully, I did not. Much hilarity ensued though. We ended up with a Chinese-american, a few french, a french canadian (with a beautiful shade of strawberry blonde hair), a gent from england, a german guy, and a handful of Japanese people. Needless to say, all languages were spoken, though English seemed to be the main common denominator. It was very fun, and Leons plan to help me combat my homesickness worked to a point.

The Okonomiyaki restaurant we went to afterwards at the north exit was totally worth the trip. Completely crammed in, we ended up chatting with the couple sitting next to us, who gave us some of their takoyaki and gave us tips for cooking the okonomiyaki, yakisoba, and monjayaki that we had ordered and had to cook on the hotplate style table. You can imagine, much havok ensued between the 2 french, 1 english, 1 chinese raised in japan, and me the american... cooking Japanese food. I plan to go back there as it is the closest thing I have found to what I could get in Kyoto for a better price. Huzzah!

No comments: