Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Conversations with bums

So I was waiting for my friend at Kichijoji to get dinner yesterday when this funky looking guy comes up to me and starts speaking... in perfect french. It took me a second to realize that he's japanese and not crazy. It took a full minute for me to recover enough to realize he was a bum.

So after a good ten minutes of enthusiastic conversation with him about everything from where I learned Japanese to Japanese Noh, Bunraku, and Rakugo, I was rescued by my friend in time for him to bust out singing a very WELL SUNG Sakura sakura. To the point where I asked him if he was a former singer.

Picture does nothing to portray his funkiness, so out of respect I will not post. I liked his random mini-oni mask he went around with on his head.

... What is this, Berkeley?!

1 comment:

Diane Albee said...

Actually, Lindsey, Berkeley seems to be cleaning up its act. I haven't seen any homeless the last several times I've been there, and I'm there a lot. I don't think the populace is that accepting anymore since the economy dipped.