Monday, December 14, 2009

Movies in Japan and Oh Shit school of cooking

Saw "One Piece Strong World" with Nabe way the hell out in Kiba. Had some adventures trying to find a theater Saturday, and Nabe finally found one about 40 minutes away. We met up in Nakano and puttered around Mandarake looking for xmas gifts while munching on some amazing dango. The movie was good, the theater was something I would have expected out of America... only it was bigger. I never though I would see the day, but there you go.

Today I got to do what I fondly call the "Oh Shit! School of Experimental Cooking." For those who aren't familiar with it, it consists of one coming back from work, deciding that I can NOT stand anymore McDs, fast food, or other type of take out, and making do with what is on sale at the store and in the fridge. I am throughly convinced that is how casserole started in the states (why else would you combine soup, peas, and tuna in one bowl and then BAKE it I ask you.) So hit the local OK Mart (yes it is really called that), picked up minced chicken, enoki mushrooms, and tofu, and was disappointed that they were fresh out of broccoli.... and headed home wondering what the hell I was going to make. Now a SANE person would have made something innocuous and guaranteed not to fail, like Stew... but no. I managed to create the monstrosity of Enoki and Chicken Mabo Tofu (spicy sauce tofu). Of course, not only is it dinner, it is now lunch for the next two days. The mushrooms really don't have much of a flavor, and neither does the tofu... so it tasted pretty much like mabo. For flavor, I will give it a 5/10 for not poisoning me, and we'll see how it reheats. Pity I didn't pick up rice. Ah well.

No comments: